What is an Assessment?
Assessment of need
An assessment is a discussion with you or your advocate that helps you and us understand your situation and needs better.
Together we will explore what help and support can be provided to reduce, delay and prevent your reliance on care and support now, and in the future.
A carers assessment looks at what care and support you intend to provide or currently provide to another person.
The practitioner will help you to explore a variety of ways that can help meet your needs to allow you to live the life you want and improve your wellbeing.
The assessment will look at how we can maximise your independence bu using:
- your strengths
- your capabilities
- opportunities available to you within your community
- support networks
An assessment is used to:
- focus discussions around the areas you may need care and support with
- determine if you are eligible for support from Adult Social Care
If you are eligible for support, the answers you have given in your assessment form will be used to calculate an indicative personal budget for you.
You will also be required to have a financial assessment. This is used to calculate any contribution you may have to make towards your personal budget to purchase services.
This is based on your:
Currently, carers are not financially assessed and are not required to pay a contribution towards services they receive from Adult Social Care.
What questions will I be asked as part of the assessment?
The links below give you examples of the questions that will be asked during your assessment, you can use these to help you prepare ahead of an assessment.
Customer assessment Carers assessment - more informationCarers assessment - what to expect
Who will undertake my assessment?
This will depend on your needs.
Access Visiting Team
The Access Visiting Team will carry out an assessment if you:
- urgently need of an assessment
- need simple equipment
Dependending on your need you may be referred to the Enablement Team for a period of Enablement (up to 6 weeks).
The Enablement Team focuses on:
- helping people become more independent
- improving their quality of life
- helping people to relearn and regain some of the skills they may have lost due to poor health, disability or impairment or after a spell in hospital or problems at home.
If you have on-going care and support needs following your enablement service they will undertake the Assessment for you.
Enablement - more information
Supporting Care Team
The supporting Care Team will carry out the assessment if your needs are:
- more complex
- high risk
- likely to need on going professional support during and shortly after your assessment or
- you require a major adaptation to your home
These teams have trained professionals in Social Work and Occupational Therapy and where appropriate they may undertake a joint visit to ensure your home environment and care and support needs can be assessed at the same time.
Support from Adult Social Care is available to people:
- recovering from a hospital stay and needing temporary help to maintain their independence and quality of life
- with long-standing disabilities and impairments
Hospital Social Work Team
The Hospital Social Work Team will talk to you, if you are in hospital, before you are discharged. They will talk to you about any care and support you might require and if necessary carry out the Assessment with you.
How do you decide if I am eligible?
During your assessment the practitioner will determine if your needs are eligible under a national eligibility criteria for care and support.
We will look at:
- your individual circumstances
- what you can do
- what you cannot do for yourself or with support from others in your family or community
We will determine the impact this has on your day to day life and how seriously it affects your wellbeing.
You are likely to be eligible for care and support from Adult Social Care if you are not able to do a combination of certain things such as:
- washing yourself
- getting dressed
- getting in and out of bed
- keeping your home safe for you to live in
A full list of the eligibility criteria for Customers and Carers can be found by clicking the link below:
1. When you contact us3. Personal budgets