Mr A was referred to the Newham Enablement Service by the Hospital Social Work Team.
The Enablement Service worked with Mr A to devise a plan that would meet his needs.
His goals were to be able to independently:
- manage personal care
- maintain a tidy home
- manage medication appropriately
The enabler supporting him would:
- Supervise Mr A in the bathroom whilst also ensuring that he carried out this task safely using the equipment provided
- Support Mr A to dress appropriately and change clothes on a daily basis
- Support and encourage Mr A to maintain a good standard of cleanliness in the home, including daily housework tasks, supervised by the enabler
- Mr A also had a self medication assessment which identified that the use of blister packs would help him to manage his medication independently
At the end of 6 weeks with support from the Enablement Service Mr A’s had achieved his three goals.
Mr A explained:
“I had just come out of hospital after being in hospital for approximately 8 weeks. I don’t think I would have managed if not for the Enablement Service. The enabler encouraged me to carry out household chores and I can now do these for myself.”
“The service is absolutely brilliant as I’m now able to wash and dress myself due to the encouragement I received during my enablement programme.”