Healthwatch is the consumer champion for both health and social care and exists in two distinct forms:
- Healthwatch Newham at a local level
- Healthwatch England at a national level.
Healthwatch Newham is an independent organisation, supported by CommUNITY Barnet and based at:
The Resource Centre
200 Chargeable Lane
The aim of Healthwatch Newham is to give residents of Newham, and those people who work in the borough, a stronger voice to influence and challenge how health and social care services are commissioned and provided within Newham.
For more details visit the Healthwatch Newham website:
Specifically, Healthwatch Newham:
- represents the views of people who use services, carers and the public on the Health and Wellbeing board and the Newham Clinical Commissioning (CCG) Board
- reports concerns about the quality of health care to Healthwatch England, which can then recommend that the Care Quality Commission take action
People need to feel that their local Healthwatch belongs to and reflects them and their local community in Newham. It is approachable, practical and dynamic and to acts on behalf of local people.
It does this by:
- Helping to shape and improve services
- Providing information, in a variety of ways, about the choices if things go wrong
- Engaging with local people
- Acting as an open organisation to make it easy for people to communicate with and to hold them accountable
- Being inclusive by representing all communities and stakeholders in Newham
- Noticing the bad things services do, and acting upon that knowledge, but also commenting on the good that exists
- Using local people as volunteers to support the work that it is involved in
- Using evidence provided by local people to build a true picture of services
For further information or to get involved, please contact 020 3598 6414 or email@example.com