People with health and social care needs should have the same chance to get and keep their jobs as non-disabled people.
Supported Employment Team
The council has a Supported Employment Team based at Workplace.
They offer individual employment support to people with health and social care needs to:
- Get into paid or self-employment.
- Stay in employment
- Get advice on opportunities to develop and improve in their role.
Support provided by the team
Support provided by the team (including vocational profiling) can assist with:
When looking for work:
- Identifying ambitions, learning needs and individual skills to advise on suitable types of jobs
- Exploring previous experience and job preferences
- CV preparation - help creating/ amending a CV, completing applications etc.
- Support during the recruitment & selection process and assistance to improve interview techniques
- Job brokerage - liaising with appropriate employers, to secure a range of vacancies
- Sourcing employment opportunities tailored to candidates' individual needs and preferences
When in work:
- In-Work Support when you secure employment or a work placement to help you stay employed (including support to tackle problems at work)
- Support with work related training
- Support to apply for your Access to Work Grant once you've got a job including ongoing support to ensure you can travel to work by yourself safely
- Negotiating reasonable adjustments within the workplace
- Understanding in-work benefits and tax credits
This is not and exhaustive list as support provided by your Employment Support Officer will be tailored to your requirements.
Support for employers:
- Raising awareness about disabilities and health and social care needs amongst employers.
- Advising on support available for employers and encouraging them to be positive about the skills that people with health and social needs bring to the business and to reduce barriers to recruiting and retaining employment.
In November 2016 the Supported Employment Team received the Team of the Year Award from the British Association for Supported Employment (BASE).
BASE Award - more information
How to contact Newham Workplace
if you would like our help to look for jobs or more information about employment for people with health and social care needs, please contact:
Joseph Kunyeda(Newham Supported Employment Manager)
Address: Newham Workplace
112 - 118 The Grove, Stratford, London, E15 1NS
.Gov - Access to Work