How to contact Adult Social Care
The Access to Adult Social Care Team is the first point of contact for everyone that would like information on adult care and support services available in Newham.
This includes new or existing customers and carers.
Access to Adult Social Care Team
Call: 0208 430 2000 Option 2
Text phone:18001 020 8430 2000
What you can expect from the staff within Adult Social Care
- A respectful and caring approach
- Encouragement to set out your concerns and not feel hurried
- Staff that will listen to what you are saying and be knowledgeable and professional in their response
- Confirmation about what will happen next and where appropriate this will be confirmed in writing
What do we do when you contact us?
When you contact us we will:
- Ask for your name, date of birth, address and telephone number
- discuss your situation
- talk about your needs
- discuss what is available to help you
At first contact we aim to offer:
- signposting to other local services and activities (including services which can be purchased) to support you with your query
- advice on equipment that can be purchased or provided following an assessment
- if needed, an appointment at our Information & Equipment Demonstration Area so you can try a range of simple equipment solutions
- information about the assessment process, including:
- what questions to expect
- the eligibility criteria
- assessment timescales and
- details about any financial contribution you may need to pay towards meeting the cost of your care
- a referral to the Enablement Team if you need help:
- regaining independence or
- reducing /delaying your care and support needs (this service is free of charge for up to 6 weeks).
- support in an emergency
A quick referral will be made to enable a more detailed assessment or investigation to take place, if:
- needs are more complex, or
- where there are concerns about the safety of a vulnerable adult
Please set aside enough time for this telephone conversation, to allow the Access to Social Care Team to gather all the information needed to support you.
If you are moving into Newham
If you are currently living in another borough and receive care and support services from that local authority, please contact us before moving to Newham.
This will mean that your care and support needs are transferred smoothly.
What happens when you contact the Access to Adult Social Care Team for an assessment?
One of the first things checked is if you are already known to Adult Social Care and/or Local Health Services. This is done with your consent.
This helps to avoid you having to repeat information that we already have available about you and your needs.
If you are identified as needing a detailed assessment, the Access to Social Care Team will request a trained professional/ practitioner, to visit you for an assessment.
They will check to see if you require an independent advocate to support you through the assessment process.
This advocate would be someone who is independent from your family, friends and Adult Social Care.
Why would I need an independent advocate?
Advocacy - more detail
- If you the have substantial difficulty in being fully involved in these processes
- If there is no one appropriate available to support and represent your wishes
2. What is an assessment?