Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

1. When you contact us

How to contact Adult Social Care

The Access to Adult Social Care Team is the first point of contact for everyone that would like information on adult care and support services available in Newham.

This includes new or existing customers and carers.

Access to Adult Social Care Team
Call: 0208 430 2000 Option 2
Text phone:18001 020 8430 2000

Request an assessment online

Opening hours
Mon-Thurs 9am-5pm
Friday 9am-4:45pm

What happens when you contact us?

Staff within Adult Social Care will:

  • be respectful and caring
  • encourage you to set out your concerns and not feel hurried
  • listen to what you are saying and be knowledgeable and professional in their response
  • confirm what will happen next and where appropriate confirm this in writing

We will:

  • ask you if you are already known to Adult Social Care and/or Local Health Services. This​ helps to avoid you having to repeat information that we already have
  • ask you for your name, date of birth, address and telephone number
  • discuss your situation
  • talk about your needs
  • discuss what is available to assist you

Depending on your needs we will:

  • identify if a detailed assessment is required - if yes, a practitioner will visit you to undertake an assessment of your needs
  • signpost to other local services and activities (including services which can be purchased) to support you with your query
  • give advice on equipment that can be purchased or provided following an assessment
  • if needed, an appointment at our Information & Equipment Demonstration Area so you can try a range of simple equipment solutions
  • information about the assessment process, including:
    • what questions to expect
    • the eligibility criteria
    • assessment timescales and
    • details about any financial contribution you may need to make towards meeting the cost of your care
  • a referral to the Enablement Team if you need help:
    • regaining independence or
    • reducing /delaying your care and support needs (this service is free of charge for up to 6 weeks).
  • support in an emergency
  • check to see if you require an independent advocate​​ to support you through the assessment process.

If there are complex needs or concerns about safety

A quick referral will be made to enable a more detailed assessment or investigation to take place, if:

  • needs presented are more complex, or
  • where there are concerns about the safety of a vulnerable adult

Please set aside enough time for this telephone conversation, to allow the Access to Social Care Team to gather all the information needed to support you.

If you are moving into Newham

If you are currently living in another borough and receive care and support services from that local authority, please contact us before moving to Newham.

This will mean that your care and support needs are transferred smoothly.

More information

2. What is an assessment?​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​​​