Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Access to your Social Care Records

Why we keep social care records

The Council's Adult Social Care services aim to protect and promote the wellbeing and rights of vulnerable people. We rely on receiving and sharing information so that we can:

  • look at your social care needs
  • discuss with you the services that are available to meet them.

We do understand that for some people, giving even the most basic information about themselves is a very sensitive issue.

We may also be given information about you by someone else, such as a member of your family or your doctor.

We know that you quite rightly expect any information provided to be treated as confidential and we respect that.

What is in the records?

The type of information we keep will include details like your:

  • date of birth
  • name
  • address

Depending upon the nature of the service that we provide we may also need to keep information, that is of a more personal or sensitive nature like your:

  • personal circumstances
  • health
  • lifestyle
  • financial situation
  • records of meetings with you and others
  • any decisions made
  • services provided.

Sometimes records are kept in paper files or they could be held on a computer.

They are always treated as confidential and are held securely.

We will not give your information to anyone else unless we have your permission, or unless there are exceptional reasons for doing so - for example if we are required by law to share information, or if it is essential to safeguard either your welfare or the welfare of others. Some records are held for many years, others are destroyed after a period of time

Requesting to see your records

Under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) you have the right to access the information that we hold about you.

However, there are certain situations where some information may have to be withheld, for example if:

  • it mentions someone else
  • if giving you the information may cause you harm
  • if it is needed for the prevention or detection of a crime.

If we are unable to give you access to some information we will tell you why.

We will give you your personal records within one month, once we have received proof of identification and any supporting information which we may need. This timescale can be extended by a further two months in some circumstances - if this is the case we will let you know.

We will usually post copies of your records to you by recorded delivery, but it may be possible to email them or make other alternative arrangements if you prefer.

You will find more information, including how to make a request to access your records, at:

Requesting personal information

Processing your personal data

We abide by certain principles when it comes to the confidentiality and security of your records. You can find out more about these principles here:

Processing personal data​​ ​​​​​​​