Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Extra Care Housing

Extra Care Housing:

  • helps you to live independently for as long as possible
  • gives you the security and privacy of having your own home
  • may prevent you going into residential care or hospital
  • can help you to be discharged early

How it works

The Schemes provide self-contained flats designed to meet the needs of people that have been assessed as needing this type of housing, including:

  • Older People
  • People with a Learning Disability

Some have trained staff on hand or call, 24hrs a day to provide extra care and support.

Who can get it?

You can apply if you:

  • live in Newham
  • live in your own property
  • are a Council tenant or
  • are a Housing Association tenant

To find out if extra care housing is right for you, we do need to carry out an assessment.

What is an assessment?

After the assessment we will identify and agree your needs with you and talk to you about the help and support available to meet them.

How much does it cost?

The cost of living in Extra Care Housing includes:

  • the cost of renting your home
  • your usual household bills
  • a housing service charge to maintain the shared communal facilities
  • a support charge for the care staff and the emergency alarm call system
  • any additional charges for the care that you may be assessed as needing

Can I get help with the cost?

If you have care needs it may be possible for you to get help with these costs. We will help you to fill out a financial assessment form to see if you qualify for help.

Depending on your income or savings, you may qualify for:

  • Housing Benefit or
  • Income Support

You may also be entitled to exemption from Council Tax.

How to get in touch

The Access to Adult Social Care Team is the first point of contact for all referrals and general enquiries:

Access to Adult Social Care Team
Call: 0208 430 2000 Option 2
Text phone:18001 020 8430 2000

Opening hours
Mon-Thurs 9am-5pm
Friday 9am-4.45pm

Request an assessment