Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Help after Leaving Hospital

If you are due to or have been discharged from hospital following an illness or operation, you might need support with:

  • getting in and out of bed
  • washing and dressing
  • toileting
  • preparing a hot meal or drink or
  • equipment to help you become more independent

If you have been admitted to a ward and you or the ward staff feel that you will find it difficult to manage at home without some help:

  • a Social Care Practitioner from the Hospital Social Work Service will assess you before you go home

  • you may be referred to the Occupational Therapist for that ward for assessment and they can support your safe discharge home and may provide you with equipment

The Hospital Social Work Service

The Hospital Social Work Service:

  • will carry out an assessment with all Newham residents who are in hospital (except for those customers who are in a Mental Health Hospital)

  • will look at the support you may need with you and the medical team looking after you, to ensure you return home safely

  • recognises the role of carers in providing support to people with health problems

Please ask the Nurse in Charge of your care to refer you through to the Service. Alternatively you can contact the team directly, their details are at the bottom of the page.

Assessment - more information

After the assessment we:

  • will identify and agree your needs with you
  • discuss the help and support available to meet them
  • according to the seriousness of your situation we may recommend a period of enablement to help you regain your independence

Enablement - more information

Additional support

Equipment and Assistive Technology

You may benefit from equipment or Assistive Technology to help you with your recovery. Most hospitals will arrange equipment that is essential to get you home safely however you may need further equipment once you are at home.

Equipment - more information

Assistive technology and telecare - more information

Care worker

If you don't qualify for a care package from Adult Social Care you could arrange to employ a care worker privately through a Home Care Agency.

Remember to take care to choose one that is registered and inspected by the Care Quality Commission (CQC). You can find registered care agencies on their website.

Home & Settle Service

The Home & Settle Service support people following a discharge from hospital, this could include:

  • warming up the house
  • escorting customers home
  • shopping
  • light domestic tasks
  • collection of prescription

Home & Settle Service - More information

Rapid Response Team

The Rapid Response Team provides triage, assessment and treatment in a patient’s home within two hours of the initial referral.

This enables patients to remain safe in their own homes under the care of their GP and avoid hospital admissions if they become acutely unwell.

The Rapid Response Team is made up of:

  • nurses
  • a physiotherapist
  • an occupational therapist with a range of enhanced assessment skills including prescribing.
  • a social worker

Referrals can be made by:

  • yourself
  • relative or carer
  • GP
  • London Ambulance Service
  • any other health professional

Call: 0208 709 5555

Monday to Friday - 8am to 8pm (Referrals received after 6pm will be seen the following day).

Weekends & Bank Holidays - 8am to 4pm (Referrals received after 2pm will be seen the following day).

Customers who have been admitted to a Mental Health Hospital

If you are in a Mental Health Hospital and feel you need support please ask the nurse in charge of your care to contact one of the local Mental Health Services. In Newham, we have two organisations who provide support for individuals with a mental health illness.

1. Community Mental Health Teams

If you require support in terms of medication or an appointment to see an Psychiatrist, please contact East London NHS Foundation Trust:

Community Mental Health Teams - more information

2. Mental Health Access and Assessment Team (MHAAT)

MHAAT can provide support if you are:

  • currently receiving treatment and have a mental health diagnosis
  • need extra support and advice due to your social circumstances

MHAAT - more information

Information for Professionals

If you are a health professional in a hospital and wish to refer a patent for support or enablement, you need to contact the Hospital Social Work Team directly to ask for an assessment.

Please contact the Access to Social Care Team if equipment has been identified and you:

  • don’t have an arrangement with Newham Adult Social Care to order or use equipment prescriptions or
  • you want an occupational therapist to check out the equipment that has been provided

Please provide a copy of any assessments.

How to get in touch

Hospital Social Work Team
Newham University Hospital
Glen Road Plaistow
E13 8SL

Call: 0207 363 8147
Fax : 0208 430 1030
E mail address :

Access to Adult Social Care Team
Call: 0208 430 2000 Option 2
Text phone:18001 020 8430 2000

Opening hours
Mon-Thurs 9am-5pm
Friday 9am-4.45pm