Supporting you to live independently through an Enablement programme
Enablement is sometimes called re-ablement or re-enablement. Enablement gives adults the opportunity and confidence to relearn and regain some of the skills they may have lost because of:
- poor health
- or after a spell in hospital
- carried out at your home
- delivered by specially trained enablers
- for up to a 6 weeks
Enablers will work with you to enable you to do daily living activities yourself.
Equipment may be provided as part of the enablement service to promote independence.
Newham Enablement Service is a CQC Registered Service
Outcome: Requires improvement
8 March 2017
See the report
You may need enablement if:
- You have had a spell in hospital and need to regain some of the skills and confidence you have lost
- You have been struggling to manage at home and feel you need some support to remain independent
- You receive a long term service but your needs are increasing
- There are particular goals you may have around improving your well being
- You are a carer who wants to look at ways to promote well being by supporting the person they look after to do more things for themselves
Telephone: 020 8430 2000 Option 2
Textphone: 18001 020 8430 2000
Monday to Thursday: 9am-5pm
Submit an online form:
Request an assessment
An access officer will talk to you to see if Enablement will be suitable for supporting you with the difficulties you are experiencing.
A visit will then be carried out by a worker from the Enablement Team to create an enablement plan based on the goals and outcomes you want to achieve. These goals are typically around:
- Managing and maintaining nutrition
- Maintaining personal hygiene
- Managing toilet needs
- Being appropriately clothed
- Being able to make use of the home safely
- Maintaining a habitable home environment
- Developing and maintaining family or other personal relationships
- Accessing and engaging in work, training, education or volunteering
- Making use of necessary facilities or services in the local community
If on-going support is needed after your period of enablement, the Enablement Service will:
- help you look at ways to arrange your care
- make onward referrals to organisations that may be able to support you e.g. Assistive Technology , Community Hubs, Employment Support Services.
If you are eligible for on-going support provided by Adult Social Care, the service will:
- assess your needs
- give you choice in the way in which your future care will be arranged
- give you an opportunity to manage your own personal budget.
Newham's Charging Policy will apply to any on-going support provided by Newham and you will have a financial assessment completed.
An Enablement case study