Supporting you to live independently through an Enablement programme
Enablement is sometimes called re-ablement or re-enablement. Enablement gives adults the opportunity regain some of the skills they may have lost because of:
- poor health
- an impairement
- a spell in hospital
Enablement is carried out at your home, by specially trained enablers for up to six weeks free of charge week period.
Equipment may be provided as part of the enablement service to promote independence.
Newham Enablement Service is a CQC Registered Service
1st May 2018
See the report
Enablement may be suitable if you:
- ave spent some time in hospital and need to regain some of the skills and confidence you have lost
- You have been struggling to manage at home and feel you need some support to remain independent
- have been struggling to manage at home and feel you need support to remain independent
- receive a long-term service but your needs are increasing
- have specific goals for improving your wellbeing
- are a carer who wants to look at ways to promote their wellbeing by supporting the person they look after to do more things for themselves.
Telephone: 020 8430 2000 Option 2
Textphone: 18001 020 8430 2000
Monday to Thursday: 9am-5pm
Submit an online form:
Request an assessment
An access officer will talk to you to see if Enablement will be suitable for supporting you with the difficulties you are experiencing.
A visit will then be carried out by a member of the Enablement team to develop a plan based on the goals and outcomes you want to achieve. These goals are typically related to:
- managing and maintaining good nutrition
- maintaining personal hygiene
- managing toilet needs
- being appropriately clothed
- being able to make use of the home safely
- maintaining a habitable home environment
- developing and maintaining family or other personal relationships
- accessing and engaging in work, training, education or volunteering
- making use of necessary facilities or services in the local community
If ongoing support is needed after your period of enablement, the team will:
- work with you to think baout other ways to arrange your care
- make onward referrals to organisations that may be able to support you such as Community Neighbourhoods, employment services or providers of assistive technology.
If you are eligible for ongoing support provided by Adult Social Care, then the service will:
- assess your needs
- give you choice in the way in which your future care will be arranged
- give you an opportunity to manage your own personal budget.
Newham's Charging Policy will apply to any ongoing support provided by Newham and you will have a financial assessment completed.
An Enablement case study