Accidents are a major problem for the elderly. They are the most common cause of hospital admission amongst older people.
Falls can result in:
- minor injuries
- loss of confidence
- fear of falling
The Falls clinic aims to:
- prevent and reduce the number of falls
- help those who have fallen receive effective treatment, rehabilitation and advice on preventing falls
What is available?
The Falls Clinic can provide a comprehensive assessment from a multi disciplinary team including a:
- Occupational Therapist
- Nursing Staff
- Care of Elderly Consultant
- Specialist Registrar
The aim is to:
- provide holistic treatment and rehabilitation
- give advice to patients and carers on falls prevention
- improve confidence and coping strategies
The programme includes:
- Occupational Therapy and Physiotherapy assessments
- Discussion groups on topics such as Osteoporosis Prevention and Awareness; Home hazard assessment and safety tips; Falls prevention and awareness
- Chair based exercise
- Foot health awareness care and treatment
- Continence advice and referral for treatment
Who can attend?
To be eligible you should:
- be over 50
- be a resident of Newham with attached GP
- have a previous history of falls in the last 6 months
- require two or more multidisciplinary interventions
How to get in touch
You can make a self-referral or be referred by your GP or another health or social care professional.
Contact the Day Hospital for a copy of the referral form.
East Ham Care Centre
Call: 020 8475 2006
Monday to Friday - 8.30am to 4.30pm