Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Home Adaptations

Home adaptations make carrying out daily activities easier and safer if you have a disability. They can include things such as:

  • Installing a stair lift or through floor lift
  • Widening doorways
  • Constructing a concrete ramp
  • Adapting kitchens
  • Fitting a level access shower or shower cubicle

All requests for adaptations will require an assessment by Adult Social Care. Click on the link for assessments to find out more about assessments and how you can arrange one.

Assessments - more information

If we find that your needs require a home adaptation, what happens next will depend on your tenancy.

a) Owner Occupiers, Registered Social Landlords

If the recommendation made by a Occupational Therapist for adaptations is approved, it will be referred to the Home Adaptations for Independent Living (HAIL) team.

There will be a financial assessment to determine how much Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) you may be entitled to.

This means that the amount you pay towards the cost of any adaptation work will depend on your income and any savings you have, not on the overall cost of the work.

To get an initial estimate of the possible contribution that you may need to make towards the cost of the adaptation works please use the DFG calculator below.

You can save your progress on the calculator with your email address and a password to return to it later.

DFG calculator - get an estimation of your contribution

Once you have an estimate of your contribution, if you wish to proceed, please contact Adult Social Care for an assessment. This is usually carried out by an Occupational Therapist, who will identify the difficulties that you are having and confirm what adaptations are both necessary and appropriate.

Access to Adult Social Care Team
Call: 0208 430 2000 Option 2
Text phone:18001 020 8430 2000

Opening hours
Mon-Thurs 9am-5.15pm
Friday 9am-5pm

b) Council Tenants

If the recommendation for adaptations is approved, the work will be carried out by the council. You will not have to pay a contribution towards it.

Home Adaptations for Children

We will carry out an assessment as explained above, however there is no financial assessment for families of disabled children under 18.

You must apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant before you start any work.

Self-funding Home Adaptations

You can also choose to self-fund and make your own arrangements for your home adaptations.

You may wish to fund the home adaptations from your savings, equity release schemes or applying to charitable funds.

If you wish to do this it is important to note that we will not reimburse you the cost of the work.

A guide to choosing and buying Stair lifts​

Information on Adaptations

For more information on Home Adaptations for Independent Living please click on the links for the HAIL service guides below.

Home Adaptations Leaflet -PDF

Home Adaptations Leaflet - Word

HAIL Guide to information and services - PDF

Guide to Designing Homes for People with Dementia - PDF

Newham Private Sector Housing Assistance Policy​​​​​​

Customer Satisfaction

"The team from Home Adaptations were brilliant, helping with every step from the begining to the end. Mr Birdi was very helpful and understanding, answering every question. The bathroom adaptation has made mum's life more easy and safe."
- Mrs T.M