Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Residential Homes

What is available?

There are many different types of residential care homes available in Newham where a number of people live together.

Individuals are looked after and supported by care staff who are available 24 hours a day.

The care homes are independently run by a variety of private organisations.

All are registered and regulated by the Care Quality Commission (CQC). If you are looking for a home yourself please visit their website, it has general information and copies of their latest inspection reports.

Who can go into a residential home?

Residential care homes are for people over the age of 18 and who are no longer able to remain living at home due to:

  • physical or cognitive impairment
  • sensory loss
  • frailty
  • illness

If you need financial support from the Council to enable you to move into a residential care home, we will carry out an assessment. We will look at your needs to work out just how much and what type of care you need.

For more information about an assessment please click on the link below:

What is an assessment?

If, following the assessment, we agree that a residential care home is the best place for you to live, we can then recommend which ones would best meet your needs and tell you whether they have any vacancies

If you are looking for a residential care home in the borough, we can help you to find one in an area near to your own home or close to family and friends.

We will encourage you, or your relatives or carer, to visit the home to see if you would be happy there and to ask any questions you may have.

Can I choose my own home?

Yes if you do not require financial support from the Council, or you just want see what is available, you can use the CQC website to search a wider range of care homes that may be available to you.

What are the different types of care home?

How much does it cost?

The costs of residential care homes vary and is dependant on the type of facilities provided and the amount and type of care you need.

Further information can be obtained from the Access to Adult Social Care Team (details at the bottom of the page).

Can I get help with the cost?

This may be possible if following an assessment of your needs a residential care home is the right care option for you and you need financial support from us to help pay for it.

We will help you fill out a financial assessment form to see if you qualify for financial help.

Find out more about paying for residential or nursing home care

How to get in touch

The Access to Adult Social Care Team is the first point of contact for all referrals and general enquiries

Access to Adult Social Care Team
Call: 0208 430 2000 Option 2
Text phone:18001 020 8430 2000

Opening hours
Mon-Thurs 9am-5pm
Friday 9am-4.45pm

When you contact us we will discuss your situation over the phone. Depending on your personal circumstances, we may follow this up with a home visit to talk about your care needs and discuss what help is available to you.

Request an assessment