Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Equipment to help you do everyday things

Customer Frequently Asked Questions

I am finding it hard to cope with tasks like getting dressed and showering. What happens if I ask for help?

The first step will be an assessment. The professional carrying out the assessment will discuss with you what you would like to achieve.

If you agree that simple equipment could help you, a prescription will be issued. You then take it to an accredited retailer and exchange it for the prescribed item.

Whom do I contact if I need advice?

You can contact your:

  • GP
  • community nurse
  • another health professional
  • Newham Council’s Adult Social Care Team to arrange to have an assessment of your needs

Access to Adult Social Care Team
Call: 0208 430 2000 Option 2
Text phone:18001 020 8430 2000

Opening hours
Mon-Thurs 9am-5pm
Friday 9am-4.45pm

You can access information and one of the many self-assessment tools via the links below:

Where do I go to exchange my prescription?

When given your prescription, you will also receive a leaflet with a list of accredited retailers in your area.

You will need to take your prescription along to any of the listed retailers, who will provide the equipment in exchange for the prescription.

Newham Accredited Retailers

What happens when I am finished with the equipment?

Once equipment is not required any more they can be disposed of these three methods:

1. Enabled Living Health Care

Equipment can be taken to Enabled Living Health Care for the items to be recycled.

Unit 7
Alpine Way
E6 6LA.

2.Bulky waste collection

Newham Council can collect large or bulky household waste that will not fit into your reuse container from in front of your home.

Call 0208 430 2000 or go to for further guidance and to complete the online collection form. Please note that there is a £20 charge for this service.

3. Jenkins Lane Reuse and Recycling Centre

Newham residents can use the Jenkins Lane Reuse and Recycling Centre for free. You must take along proof that you are a Newham resident such as a Council Tax bill.

Jenkins Lane Reuse and Recycling Centre
Jenkins Lane
IG11 0AD

Open every day: 7:30am to 5:45pm

I am housebound. How can I get my equipment?

At the point of assessment, if it is clear that you are not able to go to accredited retailers to choose your equipment, the assessor will prescribe delivery of the item as well.

Will I be able to use my prescription if I find something else I prefer at the accredited retailer?

If the piece of equipment differs only in look and feel but has the same function as the prescribed item, then you can exchange your prescription for it.

If the item is more expensive than the one that was originally prescribed, you will need to pay the extra above the prescription value. This is known as a Top Up.

You cannot exchange your prescription for:

  • equipment that has a different function to the item prescribed
  • medication
  • therapy