Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Useful Information

Useful links for you

Money matters

It is important that Carers know about and claim any benefits they are entitled to.

Carers may be entitled to benefits based on their caring role and also in their own right.

The main benefit carers can be entitled to because they are caring for another person is called Carers Allowance.

Carers Allowance - more information

Information on benefits and debts advice can be foun​d by clicking on the following links:

Benefits advice

Debts advice

Coping with an illness or disability

If you are not able to support yourself due to illness or a disability, contact:

Access to Adult Social Care Team
Call: 0208 430 2000 Option 2
Text phone:18001 020 8430 2000

Opening hours
Mon-Thurs 9am-5pm
Friday 9am-4.45pm

We will discuss the support you may be entitled to, and information on universal services you may be able to access.

Health and Well-being

Caring and Motor Neurone Disease: support for you

The Motor Neurone Disease (MND) Association has developed a guide to help you look after your own wellbeing.

It provides information about carers’ rights, assessments and services, and how to manage difficult emotions that you may feel when facing the demands of the caring role.

Caring and MND support for you - A guide​​​​​​​​

Useful links for the person you care for

Support to live independently and safely

If you or the person you care for need extra support to look after yourselves, and remain living at home. You may be entitled to:

  • Equipment or a wheelchair loan to make it easier for you to get around your home and the community
  • Telecare services to support you in an emergency
  • Home adaptations may help make your home safer
Equipment to help you

Assistive technology and Telecare

Home adaptations

Shared lives

Newham Shared Lives Scheme gives people with support needs the opportunity to live with families or individuals in the community.

Shared lives

Practical support at home

Practical support like help with housework is no longer available from Adult Social Care.

However, if you feel you need some help with housework there are a number of agencies that can provide staff to help you in your home but they will charge you for this service.

Remember to take care to choose an agency that is registered with the Care Quality Commission (CQC). You can search for registered agencies on the CQC website.

There are a number of ways you can continue to carry out daily living tasks if you start to find them difficult due to illness, frailty or disability:

Practical support


Enablement (sometimes called reablement or re-enablement) is about helping you or the person you care for become more independent and improve their quality of life.

Enablement is a key part of both the Adult Social Care Services and the Adults assessment process.

All Adults who are eligible for services are considered for enablement in the first instance.

Enablement - more information